Tuesday 17 May 2016

Square Pop Up Z Fold Card Tutorial and Going Places Round Up

So here is the group shot to round up my Going Places Cards for the Men series... 

Having searched around to find the originator of this clever card format... whom I believe to be Frenchie (France Martin) with this card and tutorial (including a video) here back in February... I now realise that there are a few names already attributed and lots of tutorials for the A6(ish) version on the web... so I will quickly disinherit my Swing Arm card name I made up... as I think the following are better card names ....  Z Fold Pop Up Card, Floating Strip Z Fold Card, Double Z Fold Card, Floating Strip Card being the 4 names I found already out there....

But here is the how to quickly produce a square version of the card with the pop out (or floating or swing or pop up) arm the same colour as the main card blank... 

1. Grab a piece of A4 card (or trim down to 17.8cm x A4 L)
2. LANDSCAPE. Score at 7.4 & 14.8cm
3. PORTRAIT. Cut at 14.8cm and cut the remaining narrow strip PORTRAIT at 3cm (you will have another arm left for another card too)
4. Add papers as per following recipe or as you desire....
5. Concertina fold your card and strip
6. Adhere right hand side of the floating strip to the back right hand side 
7. Adhere left hand side of the floating strip to the front left of the card ( TIP - think about where you do not want your glue!!!)

Standard Metric Recipe for Papers
Back 14.3cm Square
Front Left 6.9 x 14.3cm
Pop Out Front 14.3 x 2.5cm
Pop Out Back/Greeting 6.9 x 2.5cm

Or for my American followers... as usual not tried and tested so Crafter Beware!
1. Grab a piece of 8 1/2 x 11" card (or trim down to 6 3/4" x 11")
2. LANDSCAPE. Score at 2 3/4" & 5 1/2"
3. PORTRAIT. Cut at 5 1/2" and cut the remaining strip PORTRAIT at 1 1/4"
4. Add papers as per following recipe or as you desire....
5. Concertina fold your card and strip
6. Adhere right hand side of the floating strip to the back right hand side 
7. Adhere left hand side of the floating strip to the front left of the card ( TIP - think about where you do not want your glue!!!)


Standard Imperial (inches) Recipe for Papers
Back 5 1/4" Square
Front Left 2 1/2" x 5 1/4"
Pop Out Front 5 1/4" x 1"
Pop Out Back/Greeting 2 1/2" x 1"

I will be back sometime soon with a slightly different recipe for the card with the floating arm a different colour to the main card blank - using less card.... but with  extra scoring...



12 comments:

ChristineA said...

Love this style card. Looking for more options in folds. I'll give it a try with the US measurements. Thank you :)

Amanda said...

Thanks Christine.... Enjoy creating...

GailLmrsclassicscrazy said...

Excellent Thanks for sharing

Amanda said...

My pleasure! Enjoy....

Joan said...

thanks for the tutorial( a lot of us in the UK still use imperial measurements to thanks for those !)

Amanda said...

Thanks Joan... I am an inches gal too In the UK... But beware my inches tutorial here is for the American sized card rather than our A4 card....

Tracy said...

So thankful for you sharing dimensions on these beautiful cards you created! Always anxious to open your blog notification emails when they show up in my box. So creative and wonderful, so Thank You!

Amanda said...

Thank you so much Tracy... so glad to hear I provide something worth opening...!

Anonymous said...

Hello Amanda great designs I'm a Stampin Up Demonstrator from Australia Love Your Work Bette

Amanda said...

Hello and thank you Bette...

Terstamper said...

Oooo love the larger size! I love your tutorials. :)

Ter(Canada)

Amanda said...

Thank you Ter.... hope you get to use lots of my tutorials! enjoy!