Gosh it is years since I made one of my Box Frame cards but I was asked to "show and tell" in one of last month's classes... and even though the class was all prepped and ready to go ... I was very happy to oblige with a simple additional make...
And as it is Fancy Fold Friday... and because I used 1/2" instead of 1cm. for the scoring of the sections... here is a tutorial for you... Note that the steps/photos in this tutorial show I now glue these projects...
And click here for the centimetre version that ends up at a larger 13cm square with 1cm sections... or here for the inches version at 5 1/4" square with 3/8" sections ... with my older method of gluing showing!!
Shadow Box Frame Card Tutorial – 11 cm (approx 4 1/4" Square) with 1/2" Box Sides and Top
Craft Spa Recipe
Box Frame - Thick Whisper White cardstock 21cm (8 1/4") square
Front Cover - Thick Whisper White cardstock 12.2 x 10.8 cm (4 13/16" x 4 1/4")
Mats - Cardstock 8 cm Square; Paper 7.5cm Square
Craft Spa Directions
2. Make an “extra short score” at 2 1/2" & 5 3/4" from top to 2nd score-line down. (note my photo is only from the bottom up to the 2nd scoreline as that way you can see the score line!!!)
3. Turn 180 degrees (so you are working on the opposing side) and repeat (2)
4. Cut up the extra short score lines and diagonally across to the 3rd score line at each corner
5. Cut out the “16-part” squares at each corner
6. Bone fold all score-lines
7. Recommend sticking any paper/photo in first before assembling if you want as an edge to edge back!
Assemble straight sides first.
8. Apply glue onto outer sections. (I use Tombow multi purpose glue and have only used Sticky Strip so you can see glue placement in the photos!)
9. Line up outer edge to inner score-line at that side & press down flat to stick.
10. Now your box section should pop up … nice and square and straight!!
11. Repeat for other straight edge
Now onto the 2 notched ends ….
12. Apply Glue Dot (or Tear & Tape) onto back of 4 diagonal sections
13. Repeat process for the 2 straight sides BUT…. apply your Tombow to the base not the outer section you are about to roll up...less messy that way!
14. Fold the outer edge down as before & glue into place with the diagonal sides up & over the square/box side sections to get the mitres/diagonals
15. Repeat for the other notched side.
And there you have it…one 1/2" section Shadow Box Frame from an A4 Wide (ie 21cm - 8 1/4") Square of card with perfect mitred corners!
Ends up as a 11cm (c. 4 1/4") Square box frame card.
And to finish it off as a card with a front cover so that it opens and closes – add the 12.2 x 10.8 cm (4 13/16" x 4 1/4") Whisper White panel scored at 1/2" LANDSCAPE (ie with long side at top) - to the left hand side.